Saturday, October 21, 2006

Tattoo

I've been thinking about getting a new tattoo. I have had a certain image in mind for some time now, but have been nervous about making such a bold commitment. The symbol I am interested in is a traditional pagan symbol called the Triple Goddess.

The only other tattoo that I have is of a maple leaf. It makes perfect sense to me. I am proud to be a Canadian and much like the people who backpack across Europe and proudly sew Canadian flags to their backpacks, I believe the image is very widely accepted as a positive thing--the whole world knows that Canadians are cool, right? I will never, ever be ashamed to be marked with this symbol.

I think the reason that I've been waffling with this is that who knows if I will be as comfortable with the image for the rest of my life. That's a scary thought. The image just feels right somehow. You will find, if you follow the above link, that the image generally is thought to represent the Maiden, the Mother and the Crone and is also a powerful symbol representing womankind. I think I can live with that. I'm sure I can live wih that.


This is the version of the symbol I am looking at getting. I'm not sure of colour yet, but you'll get the general idea. I am considering getting this on the outside of my right ankle, which is why I like the vertical representation as opposed to the more traditional horizontal orientation.

1 comment:

Domestic Goddess said...

I didn't mean that American's would wear the Canadian flag, although I have heard several stories of those who have done exactly that.