Thursday, December 28, 2006

Family is just AWESOME!!!

I know I should be grateful for family. I know that. But I DON'T CARE!

It needs to be said first that my Christmas (and presumably, our Christmas) was awesome. The day certainly lived up to my very high expectations and I loved every minute of the chaos. I was spoiled rotten by Resident Manservant and received a brand new MacBook, among several other substantial gifts. But, most of all, I was able to show our families a good time and show them how much I appreciate them.

My grandma decided to opt out of Christmas this year. Except she didn't actually tell anyone this, she just pitched a fit and refused to come for Christmas dinner on Christmas day and then again last night refused another family gathering. I don't know what has gotten into her, really. She doped herself up on sleeping pills so that she could sleep through it altogether. When my mom and dad and aunt went in late last night in the middle of a blizzard she went on about how she hated Christmas and she didn't want to spend her holiday with a bunch of drunks (which we aren't) and how marrying my grandpa was the biggest mistake she ever made and that we don't know Christmas.

I think this is primarily a Mormon versus the world thing where she feels that we are somehow beneath her because we don't follow the mormon faith. But she does not seem to realize (or maybe she just doesn't care) that Christmas is (or should be, in my opinion) about being with family. It is a time of good nature, good tidings and generousity of spirit. Regardless of your spiritual beliefs, it is a time to embrace our likenesses and enjoy each others company. It is a time for tolerance and understanding.

It seems though that because we are not mormon we aren't worth her time on Christmas day. So much for family.

No comments: