Sunday, March 11, 2007

And....FIGHT!

Lately we've been fighting a lot. We've also not been blogging much, as you've seen, and I think it all comes out of the same place. We have lofty, fluffy, nebulous goals for our lives that we never seem to be able to find traction in climbing towards. Weight loss, financial balance, time for happy-love-smooshy moments, it all seems to get wrapped up in a little package that gets entirely ignored when things get stressful.

We recently took an extended 2 week vacation, and while the vacation was 99.9% stress free (I don't think we had even the remotest conflict on it, you know) it really exacerbated the issues back home. When removed from our stressful existence, we are the happiest people on the planet. However, we seem to lack totally the capacity or mechanisms to deal with the real world successfully. It was really dismaying to compare our first week back from vacation with our week on vacation. Ugh.

I'm not sure what this is really about, as I suspect I have feelings somewhat unique to my generation. As the affluence of western society grows (built, I suspect, on the shore of an ocean of economic collapse) each successive generation grows further and further from a work ethic based on survival. We have a growing sense of entitlement to happiness unfounded on any sort of actual effort or the concept of reaping what we sow. I see it more and more in the people who are 17,18, or 19 now, but I reflect on it being substantially the cause of my own personal torment.

Its really fucking obnoxious. We watched a good movie tonight, but I'll make a separate post for that.

No comments: